Our land has an extraordinary history, serving as a beloved family gathering place for generations and holding stories from centuries before. Over 20 years ago, the land was annexed to the City of Charleston as part of its growth plan. Through thoughtful community design and continued stewardship, Point Hope creates a bridge between the land’s legacy and its vibrant future.
By the late-17th century, the English established the first permanent settlement on the Ashley River and in 1680, they moved their settlement to the present-day location of Charleston. The Lords Proprietors were granted lands throughout the region, including John Padgett and James Taggert who received land that would become part of Harry Frank Guggenheim’s “Cain Hoy Plantation” in the 20th century.
During the Colonial era, Cainhoy was well known for its brick kilns. In 1740, a devastating fire swept across Charleston and a new law was implemented that all buildings had to be made from bricks. With ample sand, clay and firewood available and a prime location on both the Wando and Cooper Rivers, numerous brick kilns were constructed on the property. It is safe to say that Cainhoy’s brick kilns contributed significantly to Charleston’s reconstruction.
Although no fighting happened here, the American Civil War brought an end to slavery and changed the Cainhoy peninsula forever. Freed people established their own communities and bought or rented land to farm for themselves. Wealthy northerners like Harry Frank Guggenheim also began purchasing land across the South as hunting retreats.
Born into a large family that placed a high value on character, integrity, hard work, and giving back for the betterment of mankind, Harry Frank Guggenheim was considered one of the most influential men of his time. In the 1930s and 40s, he purchased 16,000 acres in the Charleston Lowcountry – including Daniel Island and Cainhoy. The property was used for farming, cattle ranching and as a family hunting and fishing retreat.
Harry Frank Guggenheim died in 1971 and his property was passed to his family heirs, including the 11,000+ acres of land that included his “Cain Hoy Plantation.” In the early 90s, Interstate 526 opened and the Cainhoy property was annexed into the City of Charleston. Today, Point Hope, with its homes, schools and businesses, is the first 21st century community at Cainhoy.